Search This Blog

Monday, April 15, 2019

One Little Boy

He is just a little boy.

I’d never seen eyes like that,
like the ones that were watching me then,
hallowed, gauging whether
I might be a threat to him.

Cute when he was happy,
so small, he looked 3.
Because they starved him.

He would talk to you.
Short sentences.
Speech stopped progressing
at age 3.

When he got angry,
he would use horrible words.
The only tool he ever learned
for emotions that he couldn’t understand.

Curses.
Wild threats.
He would spit in your face
and threaten to kill you.

Who taught him that?
His only tools.

He is just a little boy.

Meeting him
at a time that
I was absolutely
powerless,
crumpled my
hope and
understanding of
reality.

I couldn't help him,
and the ones who could
treated him like
a chore,
mindless work
without reward.

Grown-ups,
tasked to protect him,
held him down
yelling demands of complacency.
What kind of things
did they force on him back home?
Of course, he spit the pills out,
he couldn’t possibly
understand.

There is that
word again.

If you say
“It’s like he’s three.”
Then you cannot 
treat him like
a prisoner, for
he has committed no crime.

His parents hurt him 
in so many ways.
I still cry for him some nights,
I can't imagine how he felt,
alone in that room.

They assumed he’d
attack, yelling at him for 
looking at anyone too close,
he was trying to show me his drawing.

Behind his eyes
Lies an island of nightmares.
There is no turnaround here,
now I know:
I am the one
who couldn’t possibly understand.

He is just a little boy
who deserves to know what love feels like.
This is an old poem that I wasn't ready to share a year ago. It's all true, about a 7-year-old boy I met who had just started in foster care because his parents were found to be extremely negligent and horrifyingly abusive. I know there are other kids, too many, with similar stories to him, but I haven't met them. I met him and I saw him and I think about him. I hope he is okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you.