Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

please don't ask me

please don't ask me-
one question
that rips my chest apart,
crumbling the pieces
into a sinkhole,
crushing my heart

perhaps you notice my gait
my slow wander through the halls
my limp, my drag, my shuffle

my scars trace a song
and dance a sad story
along my legs

when I'm sitting,
you might not register
the pain I hide
under the table
behind my happy,
not too happy,
character

if you knew me before,
you'd notice a change.
maybe, if you knew me

people don't see
me the same way
after the words
leave my lips.

old teardrops
and mistakes

please don't ask me
how i've been since --
i said don't say it

it's been a year
and hospital walls still
close in on my dreams,
beeping IVs wake me
but, they aren't there anymore

i wake up,
but can't remember
if I can move.
eventually i do
i always do

it's been a year
and i'd talk about it
but i know
you'll do this thing with
your eyes,
tilt your head, squint a bit
and see me differently

so i have my nightmares
and i sit quietly

but it's been a year
and my answer
has changed

i'd say
i'm doing pretty great