Search This Blog

Saturday, October 10, 2020

Heartstrings

because our heartstrings have been tied together 
since the first time we wore friendship bracelets
until our wishes came true,
since you sat next to me
and I sat next to you

soon we were reading books as thick as the lake
we skated on every Saturday
if our whole lives were filmed
those are the hours I'd ask to replay

because our heartstrings have been tied together 
since the Christmas you discovered boys
and I still saw things that made too much noise,
since that day we went flying like two rolled dice
remember that? we "both" slipped on the ice

my house was next to yours
and your house was next to mine
we'd sing our lungs out, you and I,
it was our own battle cry

because our heartstrings have been tied together
since our monsters had no faces
before we met the girls with two,
since monsters lived underneath our beds
and couldn't climb inside our heads

we may bend
but we never break
we may stretch
but we always snap back into place

because our heartstrings have been tied together
since our first real fight, the one I still think about sometimes,
since we both made a wish, that chilly September,
to be in each other's hearts forever

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you.