Search This Blog

Saturday, October 24, 2020

all that ever comes to mind

Note: This is the 250th poem I have published.

I have four little cousins, small children with
big questions, they've asked me
"why are people always so mean?" 
and all that ever comes to mind
are things I don't want them to know

I want to tell them to stay like they are
just that like, don't get older, 
keep asking questions and never give up

at 8, they have yet to
watch a political debate or
read about people arguing 
over their right to live free
in a nation that champions freedom

they haven't
gotten sick of screaming
into the thankless void of emptiness at 
the end of each and every day

I want to tell them that it gets better
that the world is less scary from up here
but 10 years ahead of them and I still don't know 
the right answer or the right prayer

meanness becomes cruelty
there are never any guarantees
anyone can cut the rope
and let loose the guillotine

I want to tell them to have hope
that life is more good than bad
I want them to believe that
cheaters never win and winners never cheat
that superheroes look just like you and me

but who am I to lie to them?
it's not their fault that when they ask me
"why are people always so mean?"
all that ever comes to mind 
are things I don't want them to know

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you.