Search This Blog

Monday, September 10, 2018

Only Some Words

“You’re sad and angry
all the time.”

“It’s what you do.”

She speaks those words
and my stomach dropped because
It might be true.

My throat swells
- my energy popped.
Where once might
have been joy,
lies only regret.

If only I could
                        count
                                 oh,
                                      just all the things
                                                                   I've heard,
that have been
said about me.

It would be quite distressing,
an awful lot of hate.

But, people, they don't know me.
It is easy to say that
and mean strangers on the street,
but you have to remember that
it just might mean your family too.

You are the only one who has
experienced all of the things,
the only one who knows of all the
stolen cookies and guilty pleasure songs,
no one can steal from you
your memories and your soul.

You are you
it is as simple as that.
They can say words,
and they will hurt,
but you are mighty
perhaps like mitochondria.