Search This Blog

Friday, March 13, 2020

The Sea

As the sea rushes to the shore,
I run-
as if escaping 
fate would be so easy-
it recedes and I crawl back,
awaiting its return
with my hands in the air,
fingers reaching towards the sky.

Rough waves
smooth into a gentle foam,
that tickles my feet and
draws me in
for a shocking embrace
a cold that wakes me up
to see the day more clearly. 

Colors dance in the sky
ones I’ll never match with a brush. 

Birds do their morning rounds,
singing their hellos. 
A crab peeks out of the sand to check
if I am still standing on his front lawn. 

What stories this ancient water holds-
secrets that could wash entire cities off the map;
and hope and peace that could put them back together-
only the lost know. 

As the sea rushes to the shore
I take a step forward and
let it
wash
over
me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you.